From Indivisible Oregon...
**CALL TO ACTION**
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
FIGHT RACISM: ASK CONGRESS SAY NO TO WHITE SUPREMACY
White Supremacist groups are armed, growing, and must be stopped. Congress must do its part by holding congressional hearings, reinstating funds for anti-domestic terrorism programs, and passing sensible laws to prevent gun violence.
• Far right attacks outnumber those by Islamic terrorists by nearly 2:1 http://bit.ly/2uZQHs8.
• DHS and the FBI recently warned Congress about the growing power of white nationalists http://cbsn.ws/2v98MAa.
• Yet Trump proposes to cut funding to fight right wing violence http://bit.ly/2wyA32o .
Violent right-wing groups are here in Oregon, working inside political structures:
• 21 of the 36 Oregon sheriffs have signed an oath circulated by a militia group refusing to enforce new laws to prevent gun violence http://bit.ly/2xlHk2Y.
• The Multnomah County Republican Party has elected to allow local right-wing militias to provide security at their events http://bit.ly/2vj39yo.
• White nationalist candidates nearly won local seats in Oregon’s 2016 election cycle http://bit.ly/2xlHk2Y.
Republican leadership is avoiding hearings on the issue, but Democrats are organizing. http://politi.co/2viL6IV, http://politi.co/2x768ME .
Let’s ask our MoCs to press for:
• Hearings on hate groups in the House and Senate committees on DHS and the Judiciary.
• Sensible policies to prevent gun violence
• Federal funding to neutralize the influence of Nazi, racist and militia groups.
**ACTION 1: CALL YOUR SENATORS and REPRESENTATIVE**
(Leave a message if you can’t get through.)
“My name is [--] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [ZIP code]. I am calling to ask [Name] to push for Congressional hearings on white supremacy. Congress also should reinstate funding for anti-hate programs and most importantly, pass sensible legislation to prevent gun violence. Thank you.”
**ACTION 2: GO TO A TOWN HALL AND ASK A QUESTION.
SAMPLE SCRIPT for both Senators and all Reps,
“My name is [--] and I’m a constituent from [city]. I am very concerned about the rise of white nationalism, as seen at Charlottesville. We have a serious problem with white nationalism and hate groups in Oregon. What will you do to stop the growing power of militant hate groups, and disarm them? Thank you.
**ACTION 3: CALL, TEXT, AND EMAIL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN RED DISTRICTS TO DO THE SAME. “SHARE” OR COPY / PASTE THIS ACTION!
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
CONGRESSWOMAN SUZANNE BONAMICI [D1]
DC: (202) 225-0855, OR: (503) 469-6010
CONGRESSMAN GREG WALDEN [D2]
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
CONGRESSMAN EARL BLUMENAUER [D3]
DC: (202) 225-4811, OR: (503) 231-2300
CONGRESSMAN PETER DEFAZIO [D4]
DC 202-225-6416, Eugene: (541) 465-6732,
Roseburg: (541) 440-3523, Coos Bay (541) 269-2609
CONGRESSMAN KURT SCHRADER [D5]
DC: (202) 225-5711, Salem (503) 588-9100,
Oregon City (503) 557-1324
** After you call, please comment below and briefly share your experience!**