You can help us grow the Indivisible movement by forwarding this email to your friends, neighbors, and colleagues. If you were forwarded this email, sign up to get Indivisible updates delivered directly to your inbox here.
Trump’s firing of FBI Director James Comey, who was leading the investigation into the administration’s ties to Russia, is pushing our country toward a constitutional crisis. If we care about the future of our democracy, it’s essential that we not let this despotic act stand unchallenged. Your Members of Congress have a clear choice: stand up for the truth, our democratic institutions, and our country, or stick with Trump. This week, let them know it’s time to take a side.
Top Indivisible Priorities this Week
- Call for an independent prosecutor to investigate Trump’s ties to Russia. Last week, Trump not only fired FBI Director James Comey, he then went on national television and admitted that the Russia investigation was part of his reason for doing so. The American people deserve to know just how serious this administration’s ties to Russia are, but it’s clear that Republican MoCs aren’t in a hurry to find the answers. And we can’t trust whoever Trump nominates as the next FBI Director to take this seriously either.It’s time to demand that a special prosecutor be appointed to continue the investigation—and your Senators should be doing all they can to ensure that this happens. Demand that your Senators withhold consent and filibuster all Senate business until a special prosecutor is in place. For more, check out our new Truth or Trump toolkit, which explains what happened last week, and our Truth or Trump Action guide to effective ways to protest this attack on our democracy. Join us on our Facebook page for a Facebook Live tonight at 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT with special guest Lisa Gilbert, Vice President of Legislative Affairs at Public Citizen, to answer your questions and talk about the recent Russia developments and how you can pressure your Senators to take action.
- Keep defending the ACA. From Virginia to California, you made the most of Payback Recess at town halls and die-ins across the country to hold the House accountable for the shameful vote to pass TrumpCare. Now it’s time to start making sure your Senators know that if they pass this bill, they can expect the same constituent outrage the House saw this recess. Need a refresher on the rest of the AHCA’s path to becoming law? Read up on TrumpCare Passed the House: Now What?
Indivisible Extra Credit
Although our top two priorities this week are pushing for a Russia investigation and continuing to defend the ACA, there’s always a lot going on in Congress. If you’ve got time for some more conversations with your MoCs’ offices, here are a couple more topics worth bringing up:
- We got a big win on the environment! The Senate rejected a resolution to permanently do away with the BLM Methane and Waste Prevention Rule, which limits waste of natural gas on public lands. We beat this dangerous resolution thanks to constituents like you who called in to say no to giving oil and gas companies a free pass. Check how your Senator voted and give them feedback—especially to say thank you if you’re represented by one of the three Republicans who voted no.
New Indivisible Resources
We’ve been adding a ton of new resources and tools this week to help you keep standing indivisible in new and creative ways, and we want to make sure you don’t miss any of it! Here’s all of our latest materials in one place:
- Introducing the IndivisiBlog: Indivisible now has a blog, featuring in-depth analysis from the Indivisible team, groups, and allies. In case you missed it, in the first post, Indivisible’s Executive Director Ezra Levin reflects on how the Indivisible movement got started and everything you’ve accomplished so far. Then, in the newest post, Levin explores the development of the Indivisible organization and what we’re doing to support the broader movement—go check it out.
- Keep holding the House accountable with The Payback Project.Indivisible recently joined with MoveOn, Town Hall Project, and Women's March to create The Payback Project to showcase your amazing work across the country holding accountable the 217 representatives who voted for TrumpCare. Register your eventstargeting these 217 MoCs; use the toolkit to plan a die-in in your district; and add your pictures, videos, and stories from Twitter and Facebook to the Accountability Wall.
- Adopt-a-District: After their disastrous vote for TrumpCare, some MoCs seem to be set on hiding from their constituents. If you’re not getting the answers you need from your MoC, check out our new Adopt-a-District Guide. You can connect with a neighboring district whose MoC is willing to step in and help out—or, if your MoC voted no, you can connect them to a nearby district that isn’t being heard by their own representative. This strategy is already catching on around the country—check out how your group can make an adopted town hall happen near you: Adopt-a-District Guide.
March for Truth
We’re calling for a #MarchForTruth on Saturday, June 3, to raise our voices and let our elected leaders know that Americans want answers. The legitimacy of our democracy is more important than the interests of any party, or any President. Let’s rise together to call for a fair and impartial investigation into the Trump administration’s ties to Russia and demand the pursuit of truth.
Marches are being held in more than 50 cities across the country so far. No march in your city yet? Sign up to host one here.
This is our shortest paragraph asking for money yet
We’ll be quick: With the Comey news breaking and threats to health care on the horizon, we’re trying to ramp up our operations fast. We’ve hired some organizing and policy staff to support the field, but we need your help to fully flesh out these teams—and quickly. Please help us provide the best possible support to the 6,000 Indivisible groups across the country by chipping in a few bucks today.
And remember, this week, be sure to let your Members of Congress know that you’re not about to give up—because you’re standing indivisible. Together, we will win.
The Indivisible Team
P.S. Keep sending your stories, pictures, and videos to email@example.com. We’ll amplify your voice and show the world the momentum behind the Indivisible movement.