* Indivisible Houston is asking Indivisibles across the country to contact Members of Congress regarding relief and rebuilding after Harvey, climate change, and related federal budget issues. Read the details here.
* Stand with the Dreamers. Tell your Members of Congress to support DACA. Even many GOP leaders think it's a good idea to welcome - not reject - these young immigrants. Read more here.
* Fight Trump's and the GOP's tax plan that enriches the wealthy. Tell your Members of Congress to oppose tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations paid for by taking away Medicare, Medicaid, and education funding. Read more here.
* Stay vigilant on ACA. The Senate Parliamentarian ruled on Friday that Republicans only have until the end of the fiscal year, September 30, to use the FY17 reconciliation bill to pass TrumpCare. There’s nothing to act on yet, but this could mean a renewed push to jam TrumpCare through the Senate while they still can.
The '5 calls' app is a convenient way to make your calls. The app provides phone numbers and scripts so calling is quick and easy. Sign up here.
INCO Indivisibles gets ready to walk in the Astoria Regatta Land Parade in August. Thanks to Sharon Kloepfer for bringing her banner from the Astoria Women's March.
• Think nationally - Act locally • Everyone is invited to these INCO events.
OPPOSE BIGOTRY Organizing Team Meeting Thursday, September 7 6-7 pm 3 Cups Coffee House, 279 West Marine Drive, Astoria This new team has a positive mission, including creating a more positive name. * * *
INCO Vote the Future "Knock Every Door" Canvassing Saturday, September 9 3-5 pm Fort George main floor, 1483 Duane, Astoria Scripts provided for door-to-door open-ended conversations with voters as part of the nationwide #KnockEveryDoor project. More info: Tiffiny Mitchell, 310-433-8894.
Local Brownies learn about being active citizens from Ben Franklin, Abigail Adams, Lady Liberty, and Betsy Ross, at the Astoria Regatta Land Parade last month.
Tuesday, September 5 - Astoria INCO Monthly Meeting, 6 pm - social & snacks; 6:30 - 8 pm - meeting. 3 Cups Coffee House, 279 West Marine Drive
Thursday, September 7 - Oppose Bigotry Organizing Team Meeting, 6-7 pm, 3 Cups Coffee House, 279 West Marine Drive, Astoria
Saturday, September 9 - INCO Vote the Future "Knock Every Door" Canvassing, 3-5 pm, Fort George main floor, 1483 Duane, Astoria
UPCOMING Thursday, September 14, 2017, Resistance School - How to Sustain the Resistance Long-term, 6-8 pm, Seaside Library Community Room, 1131 Broadway, Seaside
Saturday, September 16 - Immigration 101, 1 pm, Columbian Theater, 11th & Marine Drive, Astoria; presented by Oregon's Rural Organizing Project and hosted by Astoria INCO.
Wednesday, September 20, Vote the Future Monthly Meeting, 6:30 - 7:55 pm, Seaside Library Board Room
Saturday, September 23, Warrenton INCO monthly meeting, 11 a.m. Strategy session with Deb Vanasse. One-time venue change to accommodate everyone. Uptown Cafe meeting room, in Warrenton near Staples and Petco.
Tuesday, September 26 - INCO Vote the Future Non-partisan Voter Registration & Information Event, 10 am - 2 pm, Towler Hall, 3rd floor Commons; part of National Voter Registration Day.
Thursday, September 28 - INCO Book Club, 6:30 - 8 pm, member's home in Astoria. This month's book is NO IS NOT ENOUGH, by Naomi Klein. For location and more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
"You, me, and the citizens of this country carry a special burden in 2017. We have to do what our president has not. We have to uphold America’s values. We have to do what he will not. We have to defend our Constitution. We have to remember our kids are watching. We have to show the world America is still a beacon of light."
Deb, a founder and leader of INCO, moved from Alaska to play with her grandkids and write more novels. Read more here.
Grassroots activism has played a major part in defeating proposals to turn the Columbia River into a fossil fuel export highway. Listen to this terrific podcast for an excellent overview of the various past and current proposals and how local grassroots opposition has been so successful. Worth listening to, especially in light of the petrochemical disasters happening on the Texas coast in the wake of Harvey.
Ratings, racism, and relationships of reciprocation are fundamental to the Trump administration - or, as Charles Blow puts it, "a ball of snakes."
INCO has "In Our America" yard signs, window signs/posters, and bumper stickers! Want one? Contact Laurie at email@example.com.
Do you agree with INCO's mission to defend democracy by opposing authoritarianism, bigotry, and corruption? If yes, then get involved with your INCO Community Group today in Manzanita-Cannon Beach, Seaside, Warrenton, Astoria, Washington Peninsula.
Questions, concerns, & photos to INCO at firstname.lastname@example.org Share this newsletter and our website with other resisters. They can join INCO here and find out about our closed Facebook page. INCO is supported entirely by your donations! Donate here. INCO Weekly Newsletter September 4, 2017