From Indivisible Oregon...
**CALL TO ACTION**
Friday, April 20, 2018
Protect Our Air
“More than forty years of experience with the Clean Air Act has shown that America can build its economy and create jobs while cutting pollution to protect the health of our citizens and our workforce.”
This statement is from the EPA’s own website and it is backed up by scientific peer reviewed data. And yet Trump’s latest industry-directed attack on our environmental safeguards is aimed squarely at gutting the Clean Air Act.
He has directed the EPA to:
- Restrict the science that can be used in setting emission standards.
- Consider non-scientific information, including costs to industry.
- Expedite approvals for permits for states that fail to meet the CCA clean air standards. This combined with significantly reduced resources makes meaningful regulation impossible.
- Allow comparisons of U.S. regulations to those of high polluting nations.
- Permit interstate trading of pollutant emissions - a cynical way to meet standards without reducing emissions by averaging out pollution levels over a larger area.
Trump has stacked the EPA with industry lobbyists, and so far they have taken 62 actions to weaken or repeal environmental protections.
Our Members of Congress must stand up and defend the original mission of the EPA to protect our vital resources.
**ACTION 1: CALL BOTH SENATORS and YOUR REPRESENTATIVE**
SAMPLE SCRIPT – for all
“My name is [--] and I’m a constituent from [city], Oregon [zip code]. I am calling to express my strong disapproval of Trump’s proposed changes to the Clean Air Act. We need an Environmental Protection Agency based in science and dedicated to the stewardship of our resources, not a pawn of polluting industries. Please ask the Senator / Representative to stand up against this and all other attacks on EPA regulations and standards that protect our environment and health.”
**ACTION 2: REMEMBER FOR THE MIDTERMS**
It has become clear that we need a different Congress to stand up to this White House. Trump can do what is doing in large part because of a Congress that supports him or looks the other way. Here are some things you can do:
- Help defeat the Trump-aligned Congresswoman in the swing district next door; each weekend, we’re heading 15 minutes north of Portland to talk to swing voters. Details and RSVP here: http://www.indivisibleor.org/rsvp-wa-03/
- Make sure you and everyone you know is registered to vote.
- Make sure everyone candidate for Congress is answering questions about maintaining the rule of law under Trump.
The 2018 elections will be the most important of our lives.
Portland: (503) 326-3386, DC: (202) 224-3753
Salem: (503) 362-8102, Eugene: (541) 465-6750
Medford: (541) 608-9102, Bend: (541) 318-1298
Pendleton: (541) 278-1129
Portland: (503) 326-7525, DC: (202) 224-5244
Salem: (503) 589-4555, Eugene: (541) 431-0229
Medford: (541) 858-5122, Bend: (541) 330-9142
La Grande: (541) 960-7691
CONGRESSWOMAN SUZANNE BONAMICI [D1]
DC: (202) 225-0855, OR: (503) 469-6010
CONGRESSMAN GREG WALDEN [D2]
DC (202) 225-6730, Medford: (541) 776-4646,
Bend (541) 389-4408, La Grande (541) 624-2400
CONGRESSMAN EARL BLUMENAUER [D3]
DC: (202) 225-4811, OR: (503) 231-2300
CONGRESSMAN PETER DEFAZIO [D4]
DC 202-225-6416, Eugene: (541) 465-6732,
Roseburg: (541) 440-3523, Coos Bay (541) 269-2609
CONGRESSMAN KURT SCHRADER [D5]
DC: (202) 225-5711, Salem (503) 588-9100,
Oregon City (503) 557-1324
** After you call, please comment below and briefly share your experience!**